Thursday, June 19, 2008

I Cannot...

I have had the darndest time trying to learn the Lord's Prayer, until tonight. Someone brought this in for devotional time, and now it makes complete sense! How powerful when you look at the flipside of the Lord's Prayer.

The Disciple's Prayer

I cannot say "our" if I only live for myself.

I cannot say "Father" if I do not endeavor each day to act like his child.

I cannot say "who art in heaven" if I am laying up no treasure there.

I cannot say "hallowed be Thy name" if I am not striving for holiness.

I cannot say "Thy Kingdom come" if I am not doing all in my power to hasten that event.

I cannot say "Thy will be done" if I am disobedient to his Word.

I cannot say "on earth as it is in heaven" if I'll not serve him here and now.

I cannot say "give us this day our daily bread" if I am dishonest or seeking things out of selfish motives.

I cannot say "forgive us our debts" if I harbor a grudge against anyone.

I cannot say "lead us not into temptation" if I deliberatly place myself in its path.

I cannot say "deliver us from evil" if I do not put on the whole armor of God.

I cannot say "Thine is the kingdom" if I do not give the King the loyalty due him from a faithful subject.

I cannot say "the power" if I fear what men may do.

I cannot say "the glory" if I'm seeking honor only for myself.

I cannot say "forever" if the horizon of my life is bounded completely by time.


- Author Unknown

No comments: