Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Blessed

Today was a harder day than I expected.

Eddie V. Rosas (aka Pops, Papa, Guapo, Grandpa) was laid to rest today. I was so blessed to spend the day with Lish's entire family, reminiscing and enjoying each other's company in the middle of the week. I was also pleasantly surprised to see that my parents showed up for his funeral... Slowly, we are all becoming one big extended family.

Lish looked like a strong tower, as always. Listening to her give the eulogy this morning, it dawned on me that she has become the matriarch of her family. Even though she's young, her family looks to her for decisions, guidance and support - which was most likely her grandma's role in the family. Anyone who has heard stories about Rosie knows that she was the one who always had bacon on the stove, a home that was warm and inviting, as well as a heart filled with compassion. It's no surprise my dear friend has learned this well from her grandma. I was so blessed to see her shine today.

I visited my parents after the family gathering at Lish's mom's house, and I spent an hour or so just talking about life. It's good to know that I can do that with my parents every once in awhile... And there won't be any harsh words or misunderstandings in that brief time. I was so blessed to share in some good memories today.

Out of the blue, I got a call from my childhood friend, Davi. She lives across the street from my parents and we've been meaning to connect for... Oh... several months now. It was a brief conversation, but I found out she's now a registered PA and doing well for herself. I was so blessed to hear from my old friend today.

And, on my way home from work tonight, I randomly thought I heard my car making a funny sound. So, I turned down the radio and found out it was my phone vibrating! Sure enough, my friend Sheryl (from Singapore) called me and wanted to catch up. We spent an hour or so talking about life, traveling, work and relationships... It was a wonderful pre-Christmas present! I was so blessed to hear from my new friend today.

Even though some days are difficult, I'm reminded more and more of how much I'm truly blessed.

No comments: