Monday, December 14, 2009

World's Best Boss?

I live life on a pendulum - swinging from one extreme to the other, always hoping to reach the middle. I'll repeat it till the day I die, I'm sure.

Let's just say there are certain things (and people) that set me off. Not too long ago, I was discussing an issue with someone at work who pushed my buttons enough that I began yelling - to the point where the ENTIRE office heard me. Unfortunately, I feel like the only time this person listens is when I use the same tactics as them.

Part of me was stoked that I spoke up for myself, yet the other part was sad that I let them get the best of me. This person was not my employee, but that's not really the point, is it? My employees heard me. They diverted their eyes when I walked past them, possibly afraid that I'd attack them as well.

As effective it was to raise my voice that evening, I felt like I stooped to a level that I don't want to use... Especially as a leader, a boss, or just as a person.

The next day, one of my former employees came to my office to bring a Christmas gift and card. When he left, I laughed at the uncanny message and timing.

"Happy Holidays to a Boss who looks for the good in others..." it started. I opened the card and felt it sink down deep. "Thanks for being the kind of boss people can respect and admire -- and for being the kind of person who makes the work place a nicer place to be." And then, as a personal note, he and his wife wrote, "Tera, Even though we're not working for you this fall, you're still the world's BEST BOSS! Merry Christmas."

Note to self, I want to be that kind of person... So keep swinging.

No comments: