Thursday, January 3, 2008

Road Rage

Just a few days ago, my dad road-ragingly played chicken with a car that wanted to go around him, and his excuse was that it was his right-of-way. My dad does this often, and I think it's some power-trip now that he can't walk very well. With his truck he has the ability to go as fast as he wants... And I've even seen him aim for people who cross the street. It's horrible.

On the drive home yesterday (from their first real trip camping with the trailer), I guess my dad pulled out (and cut off) a big rig flatbed with an oversized tractor strapped to it. As we all know, big rigs can't stop on a dime and he had to slam on his brakes and swerve to miss my parents. My mom said she started yelling at my dad that it was the truck driver's right-of-way, and my dad's angry response was, "Well, he was going too fast."

My mom screamed at my dad that he almost got them all killed. No joke, the guy stopped at the red light when he was next to my parents, got out of the truck and walked over to my parent's truck... And my mom told my dad that the truckdriver was going to rightfully kick his @$$. The guy started yelling at my dad through the driver's side, but I guess he was a young guy and looked like he was about to cry. Yes, at the red light, he stood in the street asking my dad, "Is it worth it to risk both your lives and mine for an extra 30 seconds? If I wasn't able to swerve back there, I would have run you over and you'd both be dead. Or, I could have accidentally hit someone else trying to swerve! Are you willing to risk everyone's lives just because you wanted to get in front of me?"

My mom said that all my dad did was sit there... Didn't look at the guy; didn't apologize. He just sat. Quietly.

My mom apologized to the truck driver profusely, saying it was a bad judgement they made. Luckily, the guy got back in his truck and no blows were made... Physically, that is.

My dad has refused to speak to my mom since then. I'm thinking it was the blow to his ego.

No comments: