Thursday, March 18, 2010

Truth + Compassion = _______

I've come to a new crossroads with myself. It doesn't necessarily have to do with marriage, though I'm sure I'll be speaking up on the topic eventually. Rather, I've recently been exposed to one of my blind sides - and I figure it's about time to change things up.

I believe I'm a truthful person. That is, I speak truth and (for the most part) don't intentionally lie. I value this quality in other people; it's refreshing to know that the people around me aren't trying to scapegoat, make excuses or distort their own reality.

Here's the tough part - I don't always think I'm honest.

For the record, let's define the difference between the two:
truth/truθ/[trooth]: the true or actual state of a matter; conformity with fact or reality; integrity; truthfulness.
hon·es·ty/ˈɒnəsti/[on-uh-stee]: sincerity or frankness; freedom from deceit or fraud.

To explain a little further, I've noticed that I sometimes fear being honest with people I care about. I have a tendency to withhold my honest feelings in fear that I'll hurt their feelings, be pushed away, or to just be ignored. For me, I've felt that being honest is truth without compassion.

Remember that old adage, "If you can't say something nice, then don't say anything at all?" Well, I would hope that my closest companions would know better than to hold their tongues around me. I'd rather hear their honest opinion than let me walk into something dangerous or stupid when they saw it before me! Now that's compassion! So, here's my own kick in the butt - why can't I do that for others? What's holding me back? How long will I hold my tongue when I should have both truth and compassion...

No comments: