Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Liberation, a continuous goal

So, it's been forever since I've written on this thing, so I figured I'd better make my comeback a good one. Lately, I've realized that since I've hit a new age bracket, I've shifted my motivations. No longer am I focused on getting people to like me; I'm now more concerned about being honest with my feelings and thoughts.

A liberating motivation, indeed.

To speak truth and love into someone is not the easiest thing. Much of our "truth" comes out of our own moral lenses that can become a destructive source of manipulation. When we're not focused on God, our judgement is clouded by the very feelings and thoughts that hold us captive.

Then again, what liberation to be honest with one another!

To look back and know that withholding myself has been a disservice to those I love. Instead of holding them accountable, I was fearful that they wouldn't like me. And in turn, I kept them from reaching their full potential because I was focused on myself... It's so clear now.

***

My ongoing goal is not to sell others short by selling myself short. If I believe in them, I need to trust that I can share my thoughts and feelings without losing them. Sounds easy enough, right?

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

well said!! i am on a very similar journey as you Tera, thanks for sharing. I think Elphaba says it best, "It's time trust my instincts, close my eyes, and leap!" trust yourself, share yourself, and we love you for it!

Anonymous said...

Excellent post. High five, girl!