My life looks completely different than it did just a few months ago... It's not necessarily good or bad, though I wonder what it says about me and the choices I've made.
There's something about leaving the country that gives me new perspective - and an ability to make MAJOR life changes. For instance, I decided not to return to my church home of eight years after I got back from Singapore. Part of the reason is due to not wanting to be asked the inevitable question, "So, when are you coming back to work in the kid's ministry?" Don't get me wrong, I LOVE the kids and volunteers who have inspired me throughout the years. However, after six years of no breaks and some self-imposed burnout, I know what I need... I need a break.
Not only that, I broke off a relationship of a year and a half a couple days after I returned from my internship. I just didn't have the heart to walk through church half-hoping, half-fearing he would be around the corner when I went to church. It wouldn't have been fair to him, me or God. So, it was almost doubly confirmed that I needed time away from my church and from the drama that would ensue if I returned.
Since then, I've been visiting a number of churches in Southern California that have piqued my interest. A year or so ago, I actually made a list of churches I wanted to visit just so I could see how other churches work. Serving in the kid's ministry on Saturday nights and all day Sunday didn't really give me an opportunity to check out other places. Besides, I have friends from school that work and serve in some really cool churches in the area, and I've had the desire to see what they do too!
On another note, I had a decision to make following my internship - should I stay in the States or should I move to Singapore? I was offered a job by my amazing bosses following my internship, which was very much an honor.
Instead, I wound up falling into a position that I never thought I'd enjoy... At my school! If you would have asked me a couple months ago where I would be now, I would have probably said anything BUT working in the development department at my school. Though, the longer I'm there, the more I'm liking what I do. I have literally been given an opportunity to utilize what I learned in school (mission heart) with what I learned through work (business mind) - JUST what I wanted!
I tell you, it's crazy how quickly things shift, plans change, options open, and life happens. I wonder what's going to happen next...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment