Friday, December 12, 2008

The Prodigal's Brother

I have come to believe that the story of the Prodigal Son is not a parable for the prodigals in the world; it's meant to teach a lesson to the big brothers that feel shirked at the end of the day. And guess what? That day is today for me.

After a conversation with my father today regarding my brother, I'm feeling much like the prodigal's brother. Augh, me and my righteous indignation.

Over the years, I have been trained to respect people who accept responsibility for their actions, value hard work, and are willing to pay their own way. In high school, my friends and I had clever nicknames for people in our group who were just plain old moochers like Spot, Stain or Satan.

Today's situation inspires me to rename my own sibling, but I know it's also a pride check. I don't care that my father is giving my brother money to come out for Chirstmas, but I see an endless mass or resources going down the drain for someone who has a history of wasting what he's given... Losing his house after my parents got him out of forclosure, losing countless jobs throughout the year, and losing whatever dignity he once had to make ends meet.

But, who am I to talk? I'm a recent graduate who has school loan debt in the thousands, along with my share of credit cards and crap that's accumulated over the years. The only difference - I choose to work hard for what I'm given... And I refuse free handouts.

Yet, that's the beginning of MY pride - thinking I can do it on my own and refusing to ask for help. Another balance check I need to add to the list...

No comments: