Wednesday, April 16, 2008

...With the Lingenfelters

I'm auditing a class this quarter called MB:508 - Culture, Human Sexuality, and Ministry with Sherwood and Judith Lingenfelter. It's designed to delve into the taboo topics of life - and that just fascinates me! There are so many unspoken rules when visiting another culture, whether it is here in Southern California or on the other side of the world. I sometimes wonder how often I break these rules and never even know it.

From a Christian perspective, this adds another dynamic to the pot o' missional thinking. How does one interpret the Bible through the lense of someone else's culture? What would Jesus say about polygamy? What supercedes culture when it comes to sex, or values, or the commandments?

All I know is that I desire to become more intentional and strategic in my leadership and communication skills. While that requires the wisdom of knowing what to do/say, it really takes the courage to bring it out in the open. So, let's start with the hard stuff... Those taboo topics that no one talks about in public.

So, here's the plug for the class:

Human sexuality is an aspect of social interaction that is especially volatile in the practice of cross-cultural ministry. The sexual drive and emotional needs of persons engaged in ministry relationships and the differing cultural expectations about the regulation and control of courtship, marriage, gender roles and sexual behavior create a potentially explosive blend of interpersonal and social expectations. This course will examine the ways in which people across cultures seek to regulate sexual behavior, and provide biblical and comparative cultural perspectives on the topic. Assignments will guide students toward understanding themselves and understanding others on this topic. The course will help students begin the process of reflection on sexuality, the grace of God, and constructive social and spiritual disciplines that may lead to effective cross-cultural ministry.

And I must say, it's already rocking my worldview!

No comments: